Wednesday 12 December 2012

One of "those" mothers

I work in childcare, my youngest is there 5 days and my eldest comes for school holidays. That means 1-2 main meals (my youngest tends to have an early dinner) and 2 snacks. Since I have been working there the meals have gotten a lot better - no more chicken nuggests or jar sauces, more made from scratch, wholegrain crackers & breads (aka seed bread), afternoon tea is always fruit. However margarine is used, I'm not happy with the rice cakes and we follow Australian dietary guidelines: low fat dairy for over twos.

So I'm now one of "those" mothers. I've taken in organic unhomogonised milk, butter, sourdough bread and yoghurt. Breanna still has foods she doesn't get at home i.e Vegemite, white rice but I feel a bit better knowing she's getting better dairy and bread options and that she is no longer eating margarine. Her main teacher is on board with it and I think the cook is, which makes it easier. I have been contemplating taking in single serves of brown rice that are pre cooked and frozen. Hmm we'll see.....

I also take in extra produce from the garden to be used in meals. That way the kids get extra vegetables (organic). And they might be something they don't always get, like squash.

We are lucky in Australia that our foods at daycare centres are mostly good, but we need to become one of "those" mums if we want our kids to have the best possible foods.

No comments:

Post a Comment