Sunday 23 December 2012

It's Beginning to Look a Lot Like Christmas

I cook a lot at Christmas time. Food for the day: breakfast & lunch, then food for boxing day. I also bake things for gift bags (last 2 years I didn't, brand new baby then i'd not long gone back to work).
So there's a lot of food & ingredients that go through my kitchen. Since I've started becoming more aware about ingredients and prompted by a post by dyno-mom (www.dyno-mom.com), I thought it would be a good idea to reflect on HOW I'm cooking this year.

On the plus side I'm using ingredients that are homegrown/organic/whole grains.
On the menu is shortbread, beet root relish, 2 types of date & nut squares, turkey, rice salad, coleslaw, potato salad, basil/tomato salad, fresh fruit, cream, raspberry water kefir, Brie cheese.

On the minus side the ham that I got isn't the free range "happy" ham I wanted ($$ issues), I'm still making some choc balls that contain questionable ingredients (I will TRY not to touch them).

On the could do better side I know I should be soaking the nuts, rice & flours, making my own lacto fermented mayo (relish should also be lacto fermented) & making the apple & cranberry sauces.

What it comes down to is mostly time. I do feel better knowing I'm (mostly) using the best ingredients. I guess it comes down to better planning. Also I'm less inclined to pre cook stuff in the middle of a heat wave!!

Anyway tomorrow will be a big cooking day so early morning for me. Merry Christmas everyone stay safe.

No comments:

Post a Comment